Rusty's 356 Money Pits

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Rusty's 356 Money Pits

Postby rustabus » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Today was a good day, A couple of years back when John and I went to first check out the "Tom Tom Barndoor" I found these in the middle of the 300+ VW collection Tom and his dad Tom Senior had assembled. As with most everything in the yard, Tom said he would sell them if the price was right. Ever since I have been trying to figure a way to make em mine and today we sealed the deal. Two 59 A models, one a good resto cantidate and one that looks like it went down the cliff next to Johns barndoor. Also got a 60 B model that was burned, rusted out completely, shot-gunned and had the front clip cut off but I am sure most of that will buff out Smile The green one is going to be built first, not sure wether I am going to clip the rear and roof of the B onto it or cut off the crushed top and roll it Vintage Racing style =D> I am really excited, gotta sell off all my extra crap so I can really focus on these!!!

[img][img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rustabus/Picture122.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

[img][img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rustabus/Picture150.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

[img][img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rustabus/Picture137.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

VGMutah

Postby VGMutah » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:47 pm

They have a crane to extract those Porsches ?
The steel on those is thick enough you could probably just grind out those dents. Smile
I have a new positive out-look on life!
Which is probably doomed to failure...

lonewolf12669

Postby lonewolf12669 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:34 am

WOW Rusty when you take on a project, you take on a project. Nice thing about it they are solid from what I can see. I figured you'd do the white one first, or is that the newer one? Good luck man you'll have a hell of a car when you get that done.

Rudder & Chris B.
Smile & Clap

Postby Rudder & Chris B. » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:20 am

very cool =D>
"When the goin' gets weird the weird turn pro" Hunter S. Thompson

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:14 am

i know i am going to be called crazy but the green one with more pics, you could probably fix alot of that roof. look what john fixed on the BD. i never said it would be cheap or easy but i dont know that you totally need to junk the roof and rear clip.

never the less the cars look really nice. much nicer than the first picture we were shown. good luck!
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:51 am

I think you are right Cookie, if I cut off the roof from the green one the tension on the car will release quite a bit and I will have a pretty good chance of straightening out the roof enough so that I can tack it back on the car. These builds will take a while but will definately be worth the time!!

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:59 am

i am a bit confused though Mr. OG, by looking at the pictures there are only pictures of 2 of the cars correct?
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

OgCalLook

Re: Rusty's 356 Money Pits

Postby OgCalLook » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:09 am

rustabus wrote:Today was a good day, A couple of years back when John and I went to first check out the "Tom Tom Barndoor" I found these in the middle of the 300+ VW collection Tom and his dad Tom Senior had assembled. As with most everything in the yard, Tom said he would sell them if the price was right. Ever since I have been trying to figure a way to make em mine and today we sealed the deal. Two 59 A models, one a good resto cantidate and one that looks like it went down the cliff next to Johns barndoor. Also got a 60 B model that was burned, rusted out completely, shot-gunned and had the front clip cut off but I am sure most of that will buff out Smile The green one is going to be built first, not sure wether I am going to clip the rear and roof of the B onto it or cut off the crushed top and roll it Vintage Racing style =D> I am really excited, gotta sell off all my extra crap so I can really focus on these!!!

[/img]Image

WOW you got your work cut out for ya.
Buy a new Sawzall, and Mig, and don't come out of the garage until their both worn out! Smile

Seriously 356As are sweet - so a little effort and sacrifice.....
Tom

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:15 am

Cmon Cookie, dosent the green one turn your stomach enough? You really want to see the carnage that is the B project? You slow down when you drive by car crashes dont you? Smile Who is Mr. OG? Smile

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:08 am

your Mr. OG fool, nah it doesnt turn my stomach. i want to see what your up against :)

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:16 am

by the way i have definetly worked on worse :-$

rich's 50

Postby rich's 50 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:45 pm

Nice and trust me John could fix that green one in one week !!!! Straight up if you need money to finish the other one hit me up and i'll pay John to fix that bitch for me.
GFK'S THOUGHT YOU KNEW

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Here you go, I am so excited about building this shit it is really hard to remember that buying all this crap tapped me out!! The plan from the start was and is to build the green "A" first, it is gonna be a choptop vintage race looking kind of thing, sorry, OG PAINT is likely gonna stay Smile and I won't pay to keep it all Porsche, I will do what it takes to get it on the road even with a VW drivetrain. Next will be the nicer A, a pretty stock resto. Only after I am done with those two will I decide if I have the nuts to try to build the B or sell all my leftover stuff and call it done.

[img][img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rustabus/Picture124.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

[img][img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rustabus/Picture129.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

[img][img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rustabus/Picture131.jpg[/img]

This is what I am thinking about..............................................................................................[/img]

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:42 pm

that last picture is SO BAD ASS!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:27 pm

Gorgeous.

I've got a soft spot for a T5 356B. Beautiful cars.
Living!

Return to “KCW completed projects”