56 whistlebritches

Mrs. Muhr

Postby Mrs. Muhr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Ratfink wrote:Hey Gary, Any follow up on the engine build? Thought you might be heading to Vegas to break it in.

Yes Gary you must go, you always make a great contribution to the video... Smile

Whistlebritches

Postby Whistlebritches » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:55 pm

As a matter of fact, I am headed back to Texas Thursday night to finish up the engine and get her back on the road by next week.. unfortunately, I can't make Vegas this time. Once I get her all dialed in again, I'll be making the shows for sure!!! I've got so many good friends in Vegas that I'm gonna miss this year.. I know Melissa will take some great footage!!

Whistlebritches

Postby Whistlebritches » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:39 pm

It IS ALIVE!!!!

Thanks to Bill for buying my Kombi, I could afford to spend a week with some really awesome folks that helped me get my BADASS oval back on the road Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

I'm too pooped to pop right now, but will post up some interesting photos and a lil story tomorrow.

Tuned Perfection

Postby Tuned Perfection » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Great news Gary!! \:D/

Can't wait for the details. And hopefully, this is where the saga ends.....
Greg

If you can't run with the big dogs....

Stay on the porch.

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:28 am

Excellent news Gary. Cant wait for pics and all the details.
Lets see some smoking tire pics! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!
Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!
slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

lonewolf12669

Postby lonewolf12669 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:31 am

Hey Gary, What happened to those pics and the story? Come on man your fans are waiting. Smile

Glad to hear your enjoying the oval again. \:D/

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:22 pm

Gary, glad to hear you are getting it back together. Good luck with man!
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

Whistlebritches

Postby Whistlebritches » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:13 am

I'm really stoked to be driving my Oval again, and wanted to share some interesting stuff with the rest of the KCW forum junkies. As you can tell by my lengthy posts, I'm the kid who loved picture books in school. If you have the patience, please check this out... there might be some eye opening info in here.. even for those of you who know a thing or two.

I recently had complete valve train failure in my newly built 2387. After months of gathering parts and $$, I was finally able to have another go at it. What I found during break-down of the old engine and re-build of the new one, is worth sharing. I'll space out some of that info with the pictures. The fine folks at "The Bug Shop" in Longview, TX were nice enough to take me step by step through the Blueprinting process, and showed me the difference in taking parts out of a box and slapping them together versus the countless hours of specialty machining parts to fit perfectly for long engine life...

This is what camshaft and lifter failure look like:
What I discovered was the previous engine builder didn't take the time to set-up the rocker geometry correctly. I was using 1:4 ratio rockers with LS-1 long valves from CB, and total cam lift was almost .550. the geometry angle from the rocker arm to the valve stem was so steep that the rocker wasn't centered enough on the lash cap. We measured the dual valve springs at .550 lift and it was WAY OVER 300lbs of pressure. I am learning that this is a lot of pressure on the nose of the cam for a street motor.

Here, the previous builder didn't clearance the oil pump enough for the cam gear bolts.. you can see how the bolt won in the end

Lets go forward.. Here's Daniel torquing the SHIT out of my rods :-k

This is where Blueprinting starts to pay off. Instead of just installing the cam out of the box, they "dialed" it in, and found that it was 2 degrees off! Note the offset washers on the cam and the nice button head hardware. Not only was the cam off, but during the dialing-in process, the EMPI DEGREE PULLY WAS 4 DEGREES OFF TOO!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT! Go Figure.. So, it was notched correctly.

Here, Daniel modified the pickup tube to accept a stock metal strainer to keep metal and junk from making it's way into the oil pump. A step that most people skip on deep sump installs.

Here, Clark Jr is cutting down the long sleeve 94's for our desired deck height. Long Sleeve Cylinders keep you from having to run shims. The Lathe is from the turn of the century.

Remember the Rocker Geometry issue mentioned earlier? Clark Jr took care of that by moving the whole rocker assembly down .0350. re-drilling and adding a case insert for the new rocker studs. Also, machined 4 spacers out of a blank sheet. All of this work makes for a more efficient valve train. HERE'S SOMETHING THAT MIGHT CATCH YOUR ATTENTION.. before the rocker assy got moved, Daniel set up the dial indicator to check Valve Lift (never just trusting a cam spec card) and what was supposed to be .536 lift turned into .600 lift!!!!! WTF?? the 1:4 rockers that were pulled right out of the empi wrapper were actually 1:5's mis-labeled!!! Now, if we were just bolting stuff together like most do... there would be serious trouble... coil bind, etc, and I'd be right back where I started...

Cutting Pushrods to length on the Lathe. he used a file to clean up the outside and a Chamfer to roll the inside, then used two lifters and a hammer to install the ends.

This is the clutch alignment tool.. from their Dad's very first Transaxle Rebuild from 1958. Pretty Cool. Just a note, Daniel has a green, IDA'd oval that runs 12's, and Clark Jr is chief mechanic for one of the Formula V cars - those 120 mph 40 horse bastards!!

I found this interesting... instead of breaking out the exacto knife, Daniel used a hammer to match the gaskets to the ports, and it was super quick and clean

The next 4 pics show the extra mile that these guys go. No two mating surfaces are overlooked. I was shocked to see how un-level these CB manifolds were out of casting. Note the special cutting tool used on the drill press

With Rocker Geometry now correct, it set the rockers out farther, so we couldn't use the stock valve covers anymore. The guys were gonna give me some vintage Treuhauft Valve Covers, but I didn't have the heart to drill tap and weld on them.. so, ChEMPI it is..

Here, Clark Jr is cutting holes in the tunnel and frame horns so that I can snake a 3/8 fuel hose from front to back... WHAT A BIOTCH THAT WAS ](*,)

Ready to Stab Motor... it's midnight

Next Day... it's alive!!!! Clark Sr is happy and setting timing on the first run Smile note: ordered one of those $36 roller throttle tubes off the Samba.. BadAss!! great product!

It's so good to have her back on the road!! Still breaking in the motor, but damn it's got NUTS! and is smooth, smooth, smooth Smile
I replaced the 145/65's with those bad ass firestone 135's.. nice

Thanks to the guys at "the Bug Shop" for helping me realize that big motor building takes more than you think it does... Everything on my motor had to be custom fit. NOTHING fit right out of the box. Even though George T from the Wagen in Vegas didn't build my older motor personally, he honored most of the failed parts and replaced them.. which was nice - thanks George... and thanks to anyone who took the time to read this Smile

Woody
yo mama

Postby Woody » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:54 am

I'm happy for you Gary, you'v had a rough run with this car, what was it Franz said ? "that car is from the devil", hopefully it has been reborn now. Now get that thing back to Nashville and take me for a ride, I am without a VW now and I need a fix.
Cheese

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:19 am

That was a worthwhile read. Thank you for all the photos and notes. Of course, now I want to tear my little 1600 stocker apart and start buying parts!!! I want a bad ass motor too.
Mark

scottsain
Bryan Adams

Postby scottsain » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:56 am

that was less boring than most of your songs.
VW Drag Night 2017!
July 7-8
Orangeburg Dragstrip, Neeses SC
www.vwdragnight.com
BE HERE! FREE FOOD! FREE DRINKS! FAST CARS! LOOSE WOMEN!
www.facebook.com/VWDragNight

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:17 am

Gary,
That was an awesome write up. I really enjoy reading and seeing those kind of posts. I have built several custom stroker engines and still enjoy seeing others little secrets like this. Thank you and i hope to get to see your car in person one day it looks great. Now get that motor broke in so you can give us that tire smoking photo i asked for the other day!!!! Smile
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!

Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!

slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

john jones

Postby john jones » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:44 am

Thats awesome Gary.. Your car looks awesome.. one of my favorites for sure!

Side note.. all the stuff you found in cam and rocker stuff is why I don't use ratio rockers, I like OG 1.1:1's, and like Webcams best, and Steve Tims heads!

Now enjoy it....
I feel like a campfire in the rain.. :-&

ScottyG

Postby ScottyG » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:39 am

Those Longview guys are impressive.

And your Oval is really NICE!

I don't know all the history, but it doesn't sound good. It's good to see you've recovered well!
59 DC Chiny Bus... but not too Chiny
59 SC Beater Bus
57 Beetle Aussie RHD
60 Beetle OG Survivor

Franz

Postby Franz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 am

Looking good. Damn, those are some killer valve springs you have! I liked the intake gasket trick...I used to cut them with an exacto knife, what a pain in the ass that is.

And nice to see the 135s on there....I TOLD YOU!

Return to “KCW completed projects”