*DEATH*

Franz

*DEATH*

Postby Franz » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Its July 15th late at night. I have just finished up all of the things "I had to do" before I could start on this project. My plan is to keep it secret until its done. I am starting this thread so that I can create a log of the work. Right now I am the only person allowed to access this thread. My plan is to drive it from Grand Junction to Vegas for the Rockabilly Rod Reunion. That gives me about 3 moths to get it done.

Last edited by Franz on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Franz

Postby Franz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:11 pm

Heres the plan:

I want to build a radrod/volksrod with fenders, and EXTREMELY low. The first thing to do on the list is to section the body 4" all of the way around. I'm taking the section out right above the heater channels. The fenders and aprons will all come down 4" with the sectioning. Since this car is going to be slammed to the gound, the bottom 4" of the aprons and fenders will need to be cut off. The other problem created by the sectioning is that when the car is lowered I'm going to have less room in the fenders. Right now I'm thinking that I will just cut some holes in the top of the fenders for the tires to stick through..that may change.

The second phase is going to be the chopped top. I like the way Howard's volKCWsrod looked. So, I'm going to do the same style chop, but more. 7" or 8"! I already have a donor car with the extra pieces I will need for the roof. The donor car also has the aprons that I will need later on.

I have already started the sectioning and just need to finish welding the body and section the doors to match.

john jones

Postby john jones » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:47 am

you better get after it Franz..
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:10 am

After being sick most of the week, I got a ton of work done Saturday and Sunday. Finished the section, started the chop, and built a chopped split window section using the windshield divider out of a pre 67 bus.

BTW Did I say thats a 4" body section, and a 8" chop!?!?

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:11 am

I like it!!!! Keep it up Franz.. You bit off a big one.. Stay focused!@
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:04 am

john jones wrote:I like it!!!! Keep it up Franz.. You bit off a big one.. Stay focused!@

I'm really enjoying building this car...its not a cookie cutter...I can do whatever I want.

I got the split window section tacked into the car last night. I moved the section up the roof about 6" to help the look...but I think it needs to go a couple more inches, so thats what I'll be doing tonight. After the window is where I want it, then I'm onto roof reconstruction, then pilar and window fitment, then door tops, ect, ect, ect. This car is in about 20 pieces right now. I have a lot of cutting, welding, and grinding ahead. I already have a piece of steel in my eye from Sunday, but I'm sure its not going to be the last!

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:11 am

The official beverage of project death:

This beer is great! It costs $13.19 for a 24 pack, and they're not bad at all. I can pound these down all night and not get too drunk to work.

lowsplitjim

Postby lowsplitjim » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:52 pm

Franz wrote:The official beverage of project death:

This beer is great! It costs $13.19 for a 24 pack, and they're not bad at all. I can pound these down all night and not get too drunk to work.

Thats what happens with 3.2 beer. Fuckin Colorado. Gotta go to a "liquor store" to get anything potent. ](*,)

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:48 pm

The way I choose to do this chop was to cut the roof into 5 pieces, one piece for each pilar and the rear window section. I then lowered each piece on its respective pliar. When the roof is chopped this way it gets longer and wider due to the angle of the pilars. This makes a cross shaped gap in the roof that needs to be filled. I cut an entire roof skin off of a other car. I'm going to replace the whole center section of my roof with it, instead of filling all of the gaps. This way I think it will be stronger. You can see the orange roof skin under the original blue roof. Tonight I filled all of the edges of the gaps that the roof skin would not cover, these came from another donor car, we're up to 3 roofs now!

lowsplitjim

Postby lowsplitjim » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:05 pm

[quote="Franz"] we're up to 3 roofs now! quote]

Dont forget to add "& 1 bus front clip."

So far the count is 4 cars to build 1.
by the end if this how many more cars will have to give their lifes for a car that is bound to be impounded within its first couple of drives?

I only say that cuz I have noticed how bad the cops have it out, here in GJ for cars that look out of the ordinary crap people usually drive these days.

How about a pic of the wall of GJ's finest?

Really though, good luck with the car. hope you make your deadline date.

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:22 pm

I think something like 18 of these are mine. I'm about to loose my license for the third time!

Franz

Postby Franz » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:02 pm

Been working on the top. Burned my eyes on Saturday from useing the autoshade helmet and laying tack weld all day. That shit hurts!

Franz

Postby Franz » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:04 pm

Building the winsheild openings:

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:11 am

You get the idea.

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:26 am

I just opened this fourm up to for some of you to view. If you can see this fourm thats because I have choose you to. Please keep it to yourself, and DO NOT REPOST PICTURES ANYWHERE!

Thanks

Return to “KCW completed projects”