Home Forums Bullshit 67 Wrong Side Driver

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Participant

From a local CL ad that had no pictures and was poorly written. Sometimes thats a good thing… Within the ad it said “right side driver”… thats when I knew I had to have a look. The asking price was higher than anyone would’ve paid, which I’m sure is why it didn’t sell right away. Went to have a look and saw that all four inner quarters were laser straight, the dash was uncut and it was indeed a RHD American spec 67. Unusual?…yes! Has typical rust issues.. both rear pan sections, package tray, and both lower A pillar hinge areas are shot. The car is mechanically sound. They handed me a receipt from Kombi Haus totaling $4200 for a ton of mechanical work they had done a year ago… then never drove it. Has a rebuilt SP 1500 or 1600 that runs like a top. Also has a shitty blue respray over the OG Zenith Blue. I paid less for the car than they paid Kombi Haus for repairs. They were relocating and HAD to sell it.

I was told the car was delivered to Sri-Lanka from Germany, then spent time in Indonesia and Malaysia before coming to the Bay Area around 1980. Originally owned by a College professor.

Plan is Old School Cal-Look… Porsche steelies I took off the Notch, Wide-Ovals, stock front discs, beam/spindles, T-bars, wake up the motor with some ICTs, 019, 1:25s, lightened fly wheel, doghouse cooler, Thunderbird header & glass pack. Lottery trans. Leave the junk paint as is…

IMG_0145

IMG_0431

IMG_0159

IMG_0153

IMG_0167

IMG_0150

Critter1
    Participant

Started digging up parts straight away. I had some 5×130 drums and old CB drop spindles sitting outside.. surface rusty, but cleaned up nicely. I’ve been loving the Firestone Wide Ovals on bugs lately so I had to pick up a pair. They’ll look killer on the steelies.

This Old School Cal-Look is the inspiration…

4701864e1bbaf1c0b83b11844717d4e6

IMG_0436

IMG_0420

I already had a spare complete set of 67 parts all keyed alike. The car only came with one key for the aftermarket ignition anyway.

IMG_0422

Franz
    Participant

Daaaang! That thing is neat.

Critter1
    Participant

Daaaang! That thing is neat.

Right??! I would’ve passed on it, if it was just your average 67…

Ragtop Ron
    Participant

WOW, great find!

Franz
    Participant

Don’t waste your time with kdud’s keep the 30/31 solex on a stock engine.

sngle IDF of zienith maybe.

Critter1
    Participant

Don’t waste your time with kdud’s keep the 30/31 solex on a stock engine. sngle IDF of zienith maybe.

I’d never run Kadron’s.. I’m not a fan. I have a set of dual Weber 34 ICTs with single port manifolds I was planning on using. Although a single 40 IDF sounds fun… I’ve never seen one on single port heads… only seen dual port end castings used with single IDF. hmmm…

John Jones

waaaay cooool find Justin!!!! Something to get jacked up about!!!!! 😎

Been a wild ride, but it got me here 😎

Critter1
    Participant

waaaay cooool find Justin!!!! Something to get jacked up about!!!!! ?

Thanks Jones! Yeah.. my Notch is basically done…. aside from the motor rebuild thats just about done. I’m excited to build another driver!

Baja Mark
    Participant

Cool car – I had a Zenith Blue ’68 sunroof with lots of patina – such a great colour. Like your plans for this – I’m just in the process of buying back my old ’67 Euro 1500 – Disc brakes and 4 lug from the factory..

I’ve always wanted to run a Zenith – kinda like the original Empi Ram induction kit with a 019 and isolated tube manifold – would suit the old school look perfectly and I hear they are nice once set up on a single port..

Pete
    Participant

This thing is cool…I like where your build is heading too.  Going to have a great look!

Critter1
    Participant

Got some Wide Ovals mounted up on the steelies!

Also started spitballing ideas for the “Super 1500” engine… Dug up some OG VW 1:25 rockers and added Scat swivel feet and a solid shaft. Ordered some engine and brake stuff from CB and WW. The old school mesh Okrasa air cleaners that WW sells are a direct fit onto ICTs. The engine should have a cool vintage look when all said and done. Tins won’t be black either….. I’m also going to try out the Vintage Speed push/pull linkage and stainless oil fill tower/breather.

I remembered I had a chromed glass pack hanging in my garage too. That’ll get used along with an old Thunderbird header  that I need to clean up and flange to heater boxes… I love this shit! It doesn’t have to be big bad HP to make it cool and presentable!!

5E1241C3-5CE2-4648-8FD5-98E57519D7CB

C6A4CDF2-C921-4747-90A2-135F01C735CF

0B227849-31F2-4EA6-A3A1-6F797E833DE4

8E34070F-8A5E-46BA-B0A2-39E6A39DDF51

Andym
    Participant

Another outlaw looker!! Your good at building em that way. It’s gonna be badass for sure!

Critter1
    Participant

Another outlaw looker!! Your good at building em that way. It’s gonna be badass for sure!

Thanks Andy. Yeah I love that look. There isn’t enough of them in Nor-Cal… or maybe it’s just that the “scene” has gone different directions. Either way, I don’t care.. I’ll build it up for me!

tlambert
    Participant

Justin what car are those rims from?

Tim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.